Our gate hinges are spring loaded to allow for self-closing gates. Depending on what style of gate you are installing, there will be 1 of 2 different types of hinges utilized to attach gate and post.
Vinyl Gate Hinge Aluminum Gate Hinge
Below please find the steps on how to adjust the tension on the hinge for each style.
- Take the 2-3/4″ long gate tension pin that comes with your hinge and insert it into the wheel on the cylinder shaft of the hinge.
- Rotate the 2-3/4″ long gate tension pin to allow for removal of small “stop” pin.
- Remove the “stop” pin and place in forward hole to increase tension and reverse hole to decrease tension.
- Take a flat head screwdriver and place on top center of hinge cylinder in the slot.
- Push down and twist the slot to increase or decrease tension on the spring. You will want to keep constant downward pressure to be able to turn it.
- Once it is set in position, release pressure and it will pop back up and lock into place.
- Clockwise turn will increase tension and counterclockwise turn will decrease tension.
- Repeat for underside of hinge.